A. GENERAL INFORMATION
- The IWM program starts 28 October 2013 and completes on 1 November 2013. The first four days of the week will be held in Macao, and will include invited reviews and oral and poster papers on global and regional monsoons, high-impact weather including heavy rainfall and tropical cyclones, intraseasonal variations and predictability, physical processes, numerical modeling, and extreme weather and climate change. There will also be special sessions focusing on the promises and challenges of monsoon and tropical weather forecast (see D.). The special sessions will continue on Friday in Hong Kong. Participants are invited to attend all sessions.
2. 28-31 October 2013: World Trade Center Macau.
1 November 2013 Hong Kong Observatory.
24-27 October 2013 (relevant WWRP and WCRP working group / panel / task force meetings): Hotel Royal Macau.
Hotel in Macao:
3.Hotel Royal Macau (www.hotelroyal.com.mo/indexc.php). To use the special IWM-V group rate, reservations must be made through the Local Organization Committee (LOC) using the attached form, which needs be returned to the LOC by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (+853-28850557) on or before 14 September 2013. The hotel also offers regular online booking at higher rates. Please do not double book.
4.Transportation to and from World Trade Center Macao will be provided for participants staying at Hotel Royal Macao.
Transportation in Macao
5.Macao is connected by nonstop flights with 32 cities in Asia (16 of which in Mainland China) and frequent ferries with Hong Kong and Mainland China ports. Passengers arriving Hong Kong International Airport have the option of direct transfer to Ferries to Macao without going through immigration formalities. Passengers entering Hong Kong first will go through the formalities both entering and leaving Hong Kong for Macao.
6.Free hotel shuttles from Macao International Airport and Ferry Terminals are available for all Macao hotels. Taxi fare from airport to Hotel Royal Macau is around MOP$70.
Advance Registration to attend IWM-V is required
7. All participants are encouraged to register in advance regardless of whether a hotel reservation is made or whether to present a paper. Participants registered before 14 September 2013 will be waived from all fees for meeting materials and activities including receptions and banquets (Except the ferry fares from Macao to Hong Kong will be paid by participants.)
Currency Exchange, Credit Cards
8.Approximate exchange rate: 1 USD =7.95 MOP (Macao Patacas) = 7.71 HKD (Hong Kong Dollars). Rates based on 2 July 2013, subject to daily variations.
9.The most common credit cards (e.g. Visa, American Express, Master Card, Diners club, and JCB) are accepted at major hotels and stores.
Climate and Weather in Macao
10. October mean daily maximum temperature: 28 ºC, minimum temperature: 22 ºC. Average monthly rainfall 79 mm, rain days 6.1.
Weather forecasts: http://www.smg.gov.mo/www/e_index.php.
11. Participants should hold passport or a valid document/visa for entry to Macao, China. For details please refer to http://www.fsm.gov.mo/psp/eng/EDoN.html.
Health requirements/Medical Services
12. Up to date information on international travel and health is provided by the World Health Organization (WHO) at the following Website: http://www.who.int/ith/countries/listc/en/.
13. UTC/GMT + 8 hours
14. The standard voltage is 220 volts, 50 Hz. Typical power plugs is the G type, although M and D types are also used. Outlet pictures can be seen at http://electricaloutlet.org.
15. The participants should take responsibility of their travel and health insurance that cover their travel and visit period.
Contact details of the Local Organizing Committee
16. For any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at the following addresses:
Mrs. Ran Lau (email@example.com)
Mr. Antonio Cheong (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Miss. Wu Ka Ian (email@example.com)
Macao Meteorological and Geophysical Bureau (SMG)
Rampa do Observatório ,Taipa Grande MACAO
Tel: + 853 88986111, Mobile: + 853 66387613, Fax: + 853 28850557
Hong Kong Sessions (1 November 2013)
17. Hong Kong, China Entry and Visa requirement information: http://www.gov.hk/en/nonresidents/visarequire/general/
18. Please indicate on the Registration Form your plan to participate in the IWM-V Hong Kong sessions and reception at the Hong Kong Observatory on 1 November 2013.
19. Hong Kong sessions list of speakers, hotel, ferry, and local contact information are given in E. IWM-V Hong Kong Sessions Information and Hotel Reservation Forms.
All participants are invited to attend the Hong Kong Meteorological Society 25th Anniversary Conference on East Asia and Western Pacific Meteorology and Climate, which will take place during 2-4 November 2013, after the completion of IWM-V. The website for information and abstract submission is: www.meteorology.org.hk.